SQL Workbench/J is a DBMS-independent, cross-platform SQL query tool. It is written in Java and should run on any operating system that provides a Java Runtime Environment.
Its main focus is on running SQL scripts (either interactively or as a batch) and export/import features. Graphical query building or more advanced DBA tasks are not the focus and are not planned. It's not intended as a full blown "development IDE", but more as a powerful command line.
Current stable version: Build 130 (2023-11-19)
- Edit, insert and delete data directly in the query result (Screenshot)
- Powerful export command to write text files (aka "CSV"), XML, HTML or SQL (including BLOB data).
All user tables can be exported into a directory with a single command. Export files can be compressed "on-the-fly".
- Powerful text, XML and spreadsheet import. A set of files (including compressed files) can be imported from a directory with a single command. Foreign key constraints are detected to insert the data in the correct order
- Compare two database schemas for differences. The XML output can be transformed into the approriate SQL ALTER statements using XSLT
- Compare the data of two database and generate the necessary SQL statements to migrate one to the other.
- Supports running SQL scripts in batch mode
- Supports running in console mode (Screenshot)
- Search text in procedure, view and other sources using a SQL command or a GUI ( Screenshot 1 Screenshot 2)
- Search for data across all columns in all tables using a SQL command or a GUI (Screenshot 1 Screenshot 2)
- Reformatting (Pretty-Print) of SQL Statements (Screenshot)
- Select rows from related tables according to their foreign key definitions (Screenshot 1 Screenshot 2).
- Tooltips for INSERT statements to show the corresponding value or column (Screenshot)
- Copy data directly between to database servers using a SQL command or a GUI (Screenshot)
- Macros (aka aliases) for frequently used SQL statements
- Variable substitution in SQL statements including smart prompting for values (can be combined with macros)
- Auto completion for tables and columns in SQL statements (Screenshot)
- Display database objects and their definitions (Screenshot)
- Display table source (Screenshot)
- Display view, procedure and trigger source code (Screenshot)
- Display foreign key constraints between tables (Screenshot)
- Full support for BLOB data in query results, SQL statements, export and import. Read more...
- SQLWorkbench/J is free for almost everyone (published under a modified the Apache 2.0 license)